Opportunities for Seniors to Get Free Help on Minor Home Repairs and Modifications!
Philadelphia homeowners, if you are:
- Over 60 years old
- Your gross household income is less than $1962/month for one person or $2655 for two
You are eligible for free minor home repairs and modifications through Philadelphia Corporate of Aging (PCA) Housing Department’s Senior Housing Assistance Repair Program (SHARP). This program provides up to $1550 worth of minor repairs and up to $850 for modifications to the homes of low-income elderly homeowners in Philadelphia, to improve the home’s safety, security and energy efficiency.
Home modifications can include:
- Adapting existing bathroom fixtures: installing grab bars, tub benches and hand-held showers
- Installing hand railings
- Installing intercom systems
Minor home repairs can include:
- Repairs or installation of exterior door
- Installation of dead bolt locks on exterior doors
- Installation of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms
- Repair or replacement of wooden basement steps
- Repair of leaky faucets and toilets
- Installation of shut-off valves
- Replacement of doorbell systems
- Replacement of electrical switches, receptacles and fixtures
To apply for SHARP services, call the PCA Helpline at 215-765-9040. SHARP is not an emergency service; applicants are served chronologically; first come, first served. If you need further help, the PCDC housing counseling program can help. Please call PCDC Ping Lee or Wendy Lee at 215-922-6156.