Sidewalk Sale of Fresh Foods
To sell fresh fruits and vegetables outside of your store legally, a few requirements regarding health safety, presentation, and etiquette must be followed.
Here’s what you need:
· All the licenses that are already required to operate your store;
· A food establishment license, if you don’t already sell food;
· Additional requirements apply if you want to sell cut produce or install a new awning.
A few requirements to keep in mind:
· Produce must be covered by canopy or umbrella.
· Shelving and structures used to hold produce can stay outside overnight.
· No boxes or containers on the ground.
· Stands must be within 3 feet of building, abutting the property, and not curbside.
· Must have at least 6 feet (or at least half the sidewalk width, whichever is
greater) of unobstructed sidewalk space.
For more information, visit https://business.phila.gov/business/retail/grocery/.